WebX Conference displays resilience in leading the Web3 industry to the next level in Japan. From the powerful keynote from PM Fumio Kishida, Binance relaunching, to government representatives sharing their upcoming Web3 strategy with investors, this event had everyone’s eyes on it.
“Web3 is part of the New Form of Capitalism,” said PM Kishida during the opening ceremony of the event.
The conference commenced in Tokyo, Japan organized by Coinpost on 25-26th Of July 2023. As a media partner, NFTStudio24 had the privilege of attending this dynamic event.
The two-day event boasted an impressive lineup of international and local speakers, and over 5,000 participants attended, including intel from policymakers, builders, founders, and investors from all over the world.
Attendees had the opportunity to learn from some of the most innovative minds in the industry and to connect with other like-minded individuals.
Japan Government’s Approach to Web3 Adoption
Prime Minister Kishida’s Commitment to Web3 Engagement:
- PM Kishida expressed the government’s strong motivation to embrace knowledge and actively engage with the Web3 industry.
- Japan aims to promote the revitalization of the Content industry while prioritizing the Protection of User Rights.
Web3 for Social Change according to Prime Minister Kishida:
- Prime Minister Kishida believes Web3 has the potential to overcome the limitations of Traditional Frameworks, leading to transformative social changes.
- The government is working diligently to improve Japan’s Web3 environment, fostering growth and innovation in the industry.
- PM Kishida hopes to witness the birth of new projects utilizing Web3 technology that will drive progress in various sectors.
Koichi Hagiuda’s Vision for Web3 Adoption:
- As Chairman of the LDP Policy Research Council, Koichi Hagiuda revealed the Liberal Democratic Party’s dedicated efforts to enhance Web3 adoption in Japan.
- He emphasized the creation of a positive environment to support builders in the Web3 space.
- Hagiuda highlighted the administration’s proactive support for domestic startups, including those in the Web3 industry.
Source: Masaaki Taira’s Twitter
Rep. Masaaki Taira on Japan Web3 Strategy in 5 Years
- Potential for Japan to foster world-leading companies and even surpass GAFA in the next five years.
- Web3 technology has the capacity to revolutionize traditional business models, particularly in terms of value maximization.
- NFTs hold the potential to optimize the pricing of Japan’s tourism resources and culture to align with global standards effectively.
Bridging Borders and Welcoming Japanese Users to Web3 Global Platforms
The basic theme of this year’s conference was “Japan’s growing role in the global Web3 ecosystem.” This theme was particularly relevant given the rapid pace of innovation in the market and the growing importance of blockchain in a wide range of industries.
Despite the language and culture barrier, the conference brought many interesting people together to celebrate their achievements and show off their unique projects in the Japanese market.
A lot of foreign founders and builders we talked to were especially impressed by the open-mindedness and openness in Japanese companies to Web3 technology. Compared with other countries, Japan seems more welcoming to them than anywhere else.
“We chose to focus here because we felt that there is a big gap in the amount of Web 3 users here versus a lot of the rest of the world. So we want to build applications that are kind of focused for Japanese users.” Jake Stolarski, CEO of Nero, a modular blockchain, shared in an interview with NFTStudio24.
The conference featured a range of interactive workshops, panel discussions, and networking events. Keynote speeches from industry leaders were a highlight of the event, as were the panel discussions on the latest trends and developments in blockchain technology. Interactive workshops on topics such as smart contracts, decentralized finance, and non-fungible tokens (NFTs) were also popular with attendees.
NTT Digital, a new project by NTT Docomo also made a public appearance at WebX, Business Specialist Yuki said that the company will launch a new wallet app this year!
Doorways for Web3 Gaming, NFTs, and Metaverse
WebX had a separate segment for Web3 gaming and Metaverse to showcase their projects to developers and gamers. Japan is already known for having one of the biggest gaming giants in the world. Similarly, the country isn’t missing out on the growing blockchain-based gameplay ecosystems.
Walter Lee from BNB Chain says “I think it’s amazing there are a lot of people here. Being the gaming growth leader for BNB CHAIN, I think that we think of Japan when it comes to game developers. I am really looking forward to meeting with all the Japanese developers out there, I’ve met a few and I am really excited to see what the Japanese gaming firms can do for Web3 gaming.”
“It’s awesome! From this morning I’ve seen some really interesting Japanese gaming companies who are actively exploring NFTs. I see a lot of synergies in the Japanese market. It’s really grooming!” Co-founder of GuardianLink, Kameshwaran Elangovan, told NFTStudio24.
Akira Masuzawa, Manage at TV Asahi Corporation, in a panel discussion with Takuya Kayaki from Toho, Zhen Yu from SaltSweeet, and Yuki Endo from The Sandbox Japan, shared his insights on “What Web3 and the Metaverse Mean for IP.”
NFTStudio24 holds ICP Meetup for Grant Opportunities to Developers
NFTStudio24 held ICP Meetup “Dev3 Japan” as part of the side event for WebX on July 25, 2023. The event was organized in collaboration with DFINITY Foundation to introduce Internet Computer Blockchain and Ecosystem.
Developers, investors, and other community members joined ICP Meetup to discuss the potential of building the ICP Japan ecosystem.
During the occasion, the speakers delivered their insights on blockchain technology and Web3. Hinza Asif, CEO of NFTStudio24, expressed her experience with Japan market. She also introduced the ICP ecosystem with grant opportunities that could possibly benefit Japanese developers and startup projects.
The WebX conference was truly a remarkable event that brought together some of the brightest minds in the blockchain industry. We’re excited to see how these new developments will shape the future of this technology, especially in the Japanese market.
As the event comes to a close, many global companies leave with a positive outlook toward the Japanese market. Although the government is working to bring more Web3 projects on board, the question remains, how can Japan benefit foreign Web3 investors? Will the country finally overcome its language barrier and strict rules to allow global companies to establish their business?